We’ve never experience white Christmas here in South East Asia but we do have white Tom Yum soup. Coconut milk and coconut water are excellent soup base for white tom yum. The trick is to cook everything within 7 minutes to preserve its nutrients. Staying in a tropical climate means fresh ingredients are available all year round. My country is blessed with fertile soil for cultivation of various condiments, fruits, herbs, spices and vegetables.
In this white tom yum recipe, I’ll be using four different types of mushrooms to create texture variations for the palate. Aside from providing crucial glycoproteins to boost our immune systems, mushrooms such as the Maitake mushrooms contain high amounts of plant based Vitamin D to aid improved absorption of calcium into the body. Do feel comfortable using any type of mushrooms available in your area. Portobello mushrooms contain Vitamin D too. This is a flexible recipe adaptable to changes.
Portions: 2 servings
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 250ml plain water or coconut water
- 3 stalks of lemongrass sliced diagonally
- 3 red bird’s eye chilies sliced diagonally
- 3 slices of galangal
- 4-5 tbsp. of lime juice
- Peel of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed slightly
- 1.5 tbsp. of palm sugar
- 1 tbsp. of salt
- 50g Maitake mushrooms
- 50g Bunapi mushrooms
- 50g Oyster mushrooms
- 50g Enoki mushrooms
- 1/2 carrot sliced thinly and diagonally
- 10 cherry tomatoes sliced into half
- 1/8 of ginger flower slices for aroma, color and garnishing – optional
- Chinese coriander or cilantro for garnishing – optional
- Place lemongrass, lime peel, galangal, bird’s eye chilies, garlic, palm sugar, carrot, coconut milk and coconut water into a soup pot and stir only in one direction constantly to avoid burning and breaking the coconut milk.
- Once the concoction starts boiling, add mushrooms and keep stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add onion slices and cherry tomatoes and keep stirring for another minute.
- Turn off heat. Add salt and lime juice. Stir to distribute salt and lime juice evenly.
- Scoop white Tom Yum into a bowl.
- Chilies, lemongrass, lime peel and garlic may be removed as desired.
- Garnish soup with ginger flower and Chinese coriander.
- Best eaten with a bowl of hot rice.
Wishing everyone a White Christmas and Happy Dining! 🙂
❤ Lots of love,