Preparation time: 1 hour
Portion: 2 Servings
I love summer vegetables. Here in Malaysia though, I don’t have to wait until summer to enjoy delicious summer greens as they are available all year round. These are some of the perks of living in tropical countries if you can endure the sizzling hot climate. It’s summer here practically 365 days 😀
I’d like to share with you a very simple recipe for Ratatouille that can be completed within an hour. Ratatouille is such a colorful dish. It is as pleasing to the taste bud as to the eye. The preparation steps such as mincing, dicing, slicing and sautéing will take about half an hour. The baking part on the other hand will occupy another 30 minutes.
- Half a green zucchini sliced thinly
- Half a yellow zucchini sliced thinly
- Half an eggplant sliced thinly
- Two Roma tomatoes sliced thinly
- Half a red bell pepper diced
- One Bombay onion diced
- Two cloves of garlic minced
- Half a can chopped tomatoes
- Some fresh basil
- Herb of Provence or Italian herbs
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Slice eggplant thinly and soak in salted water for 15 minutes to remove bitterness.
- Prepare other ingredients accordingly. Remember to wash and drain sliced eggplants. In the mean time, turn on oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Heat up the pan with some vegetable oil. Place into pan the diced onions and sautée for 2 minutes. Then, add minced garlic and diced bell pepper and sautée for another 2 minutes before adding the can chopped tomatoes.
- Season the sauce accordingly with half a teaspoon of salt and herb of Provence.
- Switch off the stove before wilting some sweet basil into sauce.
- Spread sauce onto baking dish.
- Arrange sliced zucchinis, eggplants, Roma tomatoes on top of sauce in sequence. Brush the arranged summer vegetables with vegetable oil and sprinkle pinches of salt.
- Cover baking dish with baking paper.
- Place baking dish into pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes on the top rack.
I hope you’ll enjoy this dish. Have a great weekend you all! 🙂