Preparation time: 40 minutes
Portion: 5 cups
The secret to tasty East Asian food is none other than good quality dashi broth. Vegan dashi broth is usually made from dried kelp and dried shiitake mushrooms. The savory umami flavor in dashi broth is so versatile that it is indispensable in the making of miso soup, stir-fry vegetables, stir-fry noodles, cold buckwheat noodles and etc.
- Five cups of water
- Seven dried shiitake mushrooms
- Two pieces of 2 inches dried kelp
- Pinch of paprika
- Sea salt to taste
- Pour water into soup pot and heat until boiling point.
- Turn off heat and wait for 5 minutes.
- Place dried shiitake mushrooms and dried kelp into soup pot.
- Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add a pinch of paprika into broth.
- Adjust saltiness with sea salt.
- Strain broth and allow to cool before storage.
- Vegan dashi broth can be put to use instantly, store in fridge for one week or in freezer for 3 months.
Hope you’ll be able to make good use of this recipe. Have fun experimenting with various East Asian food. Do let me know if you want me to share recipe for miso soup, cold buckwheat noodles or stir-fry udon.